Friday Round Up 24/03/17
Easter Hat/Easter Photograph Competition
Just to remind you as Easter approaches we are holding an Easter Competition. We are inviting the children in Reception and KS1 to design an Easter hat. The children in KS2 children may either design a hat or take a spring photograph for an Easter display. There will be a prize for the most creative hat and photograph. Please bring the entries to school by Monday 27th March. We looking forward to seeing the entries.
Red Nose Day
Thank for your support toward this day. The children have had a lovely time with the highlight being this afternoons Talent Show! The Finalists were:
- Ayler Zolfagari & Raine Clark
- Bella Zhao
- Maya Baptiste-Acteson
- Eady Parmenter
- Seth Lyons & Brook Westfall & Devan Mahalingham
- Jemima Purser & Jasmine Dolan & Sophia Brickhill & Alma Haggai
- Lois Togwell
- Noel Togara & Jamie Tee
- Artemis Barnett & Maddie Smith
- Ava Vinten
- Agnes Burton & Phoebe Lockstone & Rebecca Heal & Amber Zeng-Scatchard
- Eloise Truss & Nancy-Kay Rayner
- Joe Coyte & Anna Burton & Chayan Joly
- Erin Falshaw & Jessica Tee
- Joy Togara
We are delighted to announce the results are;
3rd Place – Eady Parmenter
2nd Place – Noel Togara & Jamie Tee
1st Place – Joy Togara
Congratulations to all those who took part and thank you to Mrs Whale and the School Council for organising a fantastic fundraising event. We will announce the total in next week’s round up.
Transfer to Secondary School
I normally just send this information to Year 5 Parents but I am increasingly being asked about Secondary School Transfer by parents of younger children. The following information is in relation to Grammar and Independent Schools.
The Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE) manages the 11+ process for Grammar School places in Essex. If you wish your child to sit for an Essex Grammar School, registration opens on 4th May 2017 and closes on 21st July. It is easiest to apply on line via the CSSE website (www.csse.org.uk) The exam will take place on Saturday 23rd September 2017 with results issued by post on 16th October. The guide to the selective grammar schools in Essex can be downloaded from the CSSE website during the Easter holidays as can one set of familiarisation papers in English and maths. Note that you will be unable to register for this process after 21st July.
With regard to Redbridge (for entry to either Ilford County High School for boys or Woodford County High for girls) the current on-line advice on the Redbridge web site is as follows;
- Application and test process for the London Redbridge 11 Plus Test
- Apply to sit the 11 Plus test– You will need to apply. Deadline 1st week in June.
- Test date– The test date is normally in the second week in September.
- Test results– Results will come out in the middle of October. If registration was online these will be emailed.
Please paste and follow the following very useful link that provides also very good advice about the grammar school process:
Note that you can apply for Grammar School places in areas outside your own local education authority and there is no restriction on the number of applications that you make. However, each Local Authority has its own closing date (Redbridge is much earlier than Essex for example).
Independent secondary schools are beginning to publicise initial open days for admission in September 2018:
- Bancroft's- Saturday 10th June at 10.00 a.m. promptly (see www.bancrofts.org)
- St Edmund's College- 28th April and 5th May 9 a.m.- 11.30 a.m. Please the register via school website (www.stedmundscollege.org) or by phone (01920 824247)
- Chigwell- Saturday 30th September 1.30 - 4.00 p.m. (www.chigwell-school.org)
- Forest- Summer Open Evening Monday 26 June 2017
- Forest - Open DaySaturday 23 September 2017 (www. forest.org.uk)
- New Hall: Saturday 29 April 2017, 9.00am – 12.00noon via the booking form on the web site (www.newhallschool.co.uk)
There is a meeting for Year 5 Parents to discuss secondary school transfer on Thursday June 8th at 6.00pm in The Barn.
Head of Learning Support
Come and meet the new Head of Learning Support at 2.30pm on Thursday 30th March in the staff room.
Next week your child will receive a tube of Smarties as an Easter gift from the PTA. Once they are finished with the Smarties, please keep the tube and write your child’s name and class on it. Then during the holidays please encourage your child to help with chores for a small fee of 20p which is placed in the Smarties tube. The aim is for them to try and fill the tube over the holidays. On the first week back to school (Tuesday 18th – Friday 21st April) please hand the tube and coins to a PTA member at the school gates. The class that makes the most money will win a prize!
Our traditional Easter Service will be held next Friday 31st March at 9.30am in The Church. All parents and friends of the school are invited.
Just to remind you that school closes at 1.30pm and re-opens at 8.45am on Tuesday 18th April.
Congratulations to R2 on a very entertaining class assembly yesterday, I hope you have an indulgent Mothering Sunday weekend.