Our Space Project
The pop-up coffee shop has been raising money to provide a new space. We'd like to share the ideas and get your feedback. Please see the design concept below and comment to:
Aim: To refurbish a neglected part of the school playground to create a quiet area to give the children a peaceful and reflective space that will support their emotional well-being & inspire creativity.
Proposed Name: Our Space
Designated Area: Currently under used area behind The Barn.
Purpose & Benefits:
- Therapeutic Space: opportunity for children to relax, practice mindfulness & encourage confidence & positive feelings.
- Friendships: To foster friendships in a quiet space where even sensitive children can feel more comfortable
- Sensory: for all children including those with special needs to benefit from a sensory experience
- Reading: Children can use the space to explore positive and inspiring books provided in a mini outdoor library.
- Imagination: to foster imagination with fantasy imagery & ornaments.
- Outdoor learning: To benefit from fresh air and nature during outdoor learning activities for a class or small group
- Extra Seating for packed lunch: to provide a calm space for those that like to eat lunch peacefully.
- Nature: To observe, experience & enjoy nature including plants, insects, wildlife and seasonal changes.
- Special Events & Fundraising: the area can be decorated with extra ornaments/lighting etc. for special events, theme weeks & other activities.
Key Features Needed:
- Entrance & exit
- Area to include packed lunch/snack tables with bench
- Garden club area to be designated plus storage for tools & growing area
- Storage for books (mini library – poetry, short stories etc.)
- Storage for outdoor cushions
- Appropriate planting – flowers etc.
- Sensory experience to include relaxing colours, flower smells, textures to touch and piped music
- Signs with positive affirmations & inspiring quotes
- Calming activities – to be decided e.g. chess/noughts & crosses/ mindfulness activity/ art materials
- Ornaments & accessories – nature/seasons/woodland animal /colour paints & glitter & subtle fantasy (fairy doors etc.)
- Theme Boxes- Theme boxes to be kept with extra accessories to change the garden themes for special events: E.g. Fairy Garden Theme, Outer Space Theme, Christmas Theme etc.
- School to recruit monitors (year 5/6)
- Pupils to have clear guidelines on use of garden (no running or shouting).
- Parents to be made aware of garden and its benefits
- All staff to be aware of the purpose & nature of the garden. (i.e. to role model appropriate behaviours)
- Staff member to supervise the area at all times while in use
- To avoid loud or energetic games/activities & bright colours. Also to avoid anything symbolising war/violence. e.g. guns/knives/scary creatures.
Please see the various layers of the design that is being considered.